Kafka Architect San Diego CA
We empower people to take control of diabetes through innovative continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) systems. Headquartered in San Diego, California, We have emerged as a leader of diabetes care technology. By listening to the needs of users, caregivers, and providers, We simplify and improve diabetes management around the world.
The Kafka Architect will drive the design, implementation, and adoptions of the client real-time stream data platform that will be a key enabler for our cloud-based business-application architecture. We have enjoyed significant growth over the past several years, and with that, the Integrations platform is evolving from a departmental batch-oriented ETL solution to a global enterprise platform to adapt to the global expansion of the business. This role will report into the Integrations IT Senior Manager.
- Help define the strategy and roadmap of the NextGen Stream Data Platform based on Apache Kafka, while assisting with establishing best practices based on identified use cases and integration patterns
- Accelerate our adoption of the Kafka ecosystem by creating a framework for leveraging technologies such as Kafka Connect, KStreams, and other streaming-oriented technology to create microservices
- Contribute to our evolving DevOps practice for hosting and managing our microservices and connector infrastructure in the GCP cloud
Experience and Education Requirements:
- Typically requires a Bachelors degree in a technical discipline, and a minimum of 13+ years related experience or a Masters degree and 8+ years equivalent industry experience of a PhD and 5+ years of experience.
- Strong fundamentals in distributed systems design and operations. Possesses an established track record with Kafka technology with hands-on production experience and a good understanding of the Kafka architecture, fault-tolerance, and scalability. In addition, has hands-on experience working with an ESB technology, such as Dell Boomi.
- Thinks architecturally in terms of the bigger picture, and has strong design instincts
- Hands-on experience as a developer who has used the Kafka API to build producer & consumer applications
- Experience with Kafka Connect and KStreams, with ability to know how to use effectively for different use cases, including how to scale and make fault tolerant
- Strong familiarity of wire formats such as XML, JSON, Avro, CSV, etc.
- Programming skills in Java and best practices in development. Passion for writing high quality, rock-solid software, including test automation (unit/integration)
- Fundamental understanding of the TCP/IP protocol stack. In addition, knowledge of security protocols such as TLS and OAUTH2, and how they work and integrate into Kafka Connectors, HTTP Proxies, and ESBs (Boomi)
- Experience with the Linux OS, process mgmt, network monitoring, I/O monitoring, and memory mgmt
- Has worked with Agile methodologies such as Scrum, and has ability to write well-structured user stories and participate in agile ceremonies using Jira as the agile tool
- Hands-on experience in designing, writing, and operationalizing new Connectors using the Kafka Connect framework
- Knowledge of DevOps technology and practical experience with related tools such as Docker, Kubernetes, Jenkins, and Terraform is a plus
- Exposure to one or more of these following business applications is desirable – Oracle EBS and Fusion, Oracle Service Cloud, Salesforce
- Familiarity with Oracle DB and NoSQL stores a benefit: PL/SQL, HBase, Cassandra, MongoDB
Functional Description: Technical Individual Contributor
Designs a complete and complex framework, system or product. Defines processes for technical platforms, system specifications, input/output and working parameters for hardware and/or software compatibility. Conceives system interfaces and business application prototypes. Identifies, analyzes and resolves system design weaknesses. Influences the shaping of future products by contributing to the framework (architecture) used across multiple products or systems. Provides multi-layered technical expertise for next generation initiatives.
- Possesses expert knowledge of leading technical areas.
- May be externally recognized as an expert in technical field.
- High level of understanding of solving unique problems where analysis requires an in-depth evaluation and may impact future concepts or technologies.